Friday, September 3, 2021

The Story of How I Became a Journalist

 

The first news article I ever published was in a newspaper that my brother Lance and I created. The Family News only published a single edition, created solely for the purpose of mocking my father, who had sprained his ankle by stepping on a walnut. For some reason this was very funny to us, and we let our bias on the matter show by including the line, “People say Rodney will be participating in physical therapy, which is funny because he’s a therapist too.”

Other than the front page news, titled “The Walnut Catastrophe,” the edition included an article about how our youngest brother Cole was sick that week and a tongue-in-cheek advice column in which I recommended a fictious sister frustrated by her younger brothers call Poison Control to find a suitable poison for getting rid of them

(I don’t know exactly how old I was when this took place, maybe 12? Old enough I should have had a better understanding of the purpose of Poison Control, since by then I’m pretty sure my parents had called Poison Control three times, once for each of my brothers.)

At that point, I didn’t know yet that I was going to make a career out of journalism. When I was a kid with a voracious appetite for books I said I was going to be an author, and then when I got old enough to understand how many bills adults have I went through a phase where I said I wanted to be an English teacher, because that seemed safer. During my junior year of high school, I took AP English Language, and we started off each class period reading news columns by people like George Will and Gail Collins, and I decided that being a columnist sounded like the perfect marriage of two of my great loves: Writing and telling people my opinions.

I took a journalism class my senior year, and my teacher, who went by Ms. Jennings at the time, was pretty cool.

Once, I was persuaded to skip her class by some friends who had a free period that period and wanted to hang out. It seemed like a fine idea at the time, until a few hours later when I found myself at parent-teacher conferences and realized that:

1)     My locker was next to Ms. Jennings’ room and she was sure to have noticed that I was at school that day but never quite made it to her class.

2)     This seemed sure to come up when my parents arrived at her room.

3)     My parents at this point had no idea that I occasionally did not quite make it to a class I was supposed to be attending and I wasn’t quite sure exactly how mad they would be about it.

As we made the rounds to the teachers Lance and I had, I caught a lucky break when the rest of the family was caught up by someone in the hallway and I entered Ms. Jennings’ classroom alone, looking, no doubt, incredibly guilty.

She looked at me knowingly, and said lightly, “I noticed you didn’t make it to class today. I figured after all the hard work you’ve been putting in lately you had earned a mental health day. Just know you’ve used your one for the semester.”

She did not mention anything to my parents, and out of gratitude I worked harder than ever before in her class and attended all my classes faithfully for the rest of the semester.

At the end of that class I had made up my mind that journalism did seem like something that might be a good fit, and so I signed up for some journalism prerequisites when I headed off to BYU.

Those journalism prereqs were kind of boring, to be honest. Classes about the basics of AP style really fail to capture the excitement of journalism. But I didn’t have any better ideas, so I applied for the program and was accepted.

I don’t know if this is how they still do it, but back then they throw you right into the fire your first semester in the program by making you a reporter for the school newspaper, at the time known as the Daily Universe (may it rest in peace). You were assigned a beat and spent about a million hours in the newsroom for four credits.

I was assigned the science beat, which was kind of funny considering I’m pretty sure the only reason I got a 4 on my AP Biology test in high school is that even though I couldn’t remember how the processes I was supposed to be describing on the essay portion actually worked, I had read that the judges just looked for vocabulary to check off, so I filled the essay with sentences that said things like, “Mitochondria are also involved.”

My very first story published in a newspaper printed on actual newsprint was a story about nematodes, which is a fancy way of saying I talked to a professor about his research on worms in Antarctica. It was not a very exciting story, but my parents sent me flowers congratulating me anyway, and every time I saw a student reading the paper on campus my head swelled with pride at the thought that SOMEONE IS READING SOMETHING I WROTE, even though in reality they were probably turned to the sports section.

I don’t actually remember a whole lot of other stories I wrote that semester, but a few stick out. One was a series of stories for the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin, in which I interviewed biology professors who were all very, very big fans of Darwin. Another was a story about 2009 being the Year of Astronomy thanks to the 400th anniversary of Galileo, in which I interviewed astronomy professors who were all very big fans of Galileo. All in all, it was a good year to be a science reporter.

The other was an interview with a professor who was studying rhinoviruses, and it’s ironic that the things that were groundbreaking to me in the interview, like the concept that people could have an asymptomatic viral respiratory infection they passed on to others unknowingly, are things that more than a decade later I would be reporting on again, this time to much more controversy.

No comments:

Post a Comment